I am working in the Software Engineering Research Lab (SERL) at Blekinge Institute of Technology in Sweden. Research group web: http://www.bth.se/tek/serl/
Since September 2019 I am carrying the Deputy Dean duties in the Faculty of Computing. Since September 2020 I hold a part-time Adjunct Professorship as a member of the IDUN project at NTNU, Norway.
Global Software Engineering | Distributed Teams | Virtual Teams | Productivity and Efficiency Improvement | Software Process Improvement | Development Value | Return on Investments | Agile Software Development | Group Autonomy | Project Governance
Ongoing research projects
• ScaleWise – Support for continues growth in large-scale distributed software development – KK-Hög project supported by the Swedish Knowledge Foundation, in collaboration with Ericsson and Spotify. April, 2020 – March, 2023. Role: main applicant, project manager, leading researcher.
• SERT – Software Engineering ReThought – KKS profile project. Role: researcher.
Research in brief
Research questions that are motivated by the GSE challenges
– Which forms of sourcing (offshoring, onshoring, nearshoring, outsourcing vs insourcing) are economically feasible and under which circumstances?
– How to organize sourcing arrangements in a way profitable for the client company?
– What are the economic and quality implications of moving software work (software transfers)?
– Can GSE be agile? How to scale agile practices to multi-team, multi-site environments?
– Can remote teams be autonomous? What hinders and enables autonomy in large-scale distributed projects?
– Can distributed teams be effective? What is necessary to achieve efficiency?
– What is the cost of mitigating GSE challenges and do outsourcing/offshoring benefits overweight it?
– What is the length of the learning curve when onboarding engineers and teams in different projects (onboarding in legacy projects, onboarding on a distance)?
– How to implement communities of practice/guilds in large-scale software companies?
– How to scale softawre projects (capacity growth)?
• Swedish Knowledge Foundation KK-Hög grant Nr. 2019/0087 (2020-2023) – ScaleWise
• Swedish Knowledge Foundation KK-Hög grant Nr. 2016/0191 (2017-2020) – GoLD
• Swedish Knowledge Foundation KK-Hög grant Nr. 2012/0200 (2013-2017) – TEDD
• Swedish Knowledge Foundation KK-Hög grant Nr.2009/0249 (2010-2013) – R2D2
• Latvian Council of Science project Nr. 02.2002 “Latvian Informatics Production Unit Support Program in the Area of Engineering, Computer Networks and Signal Processing” (2003-2010)
• European Social Fund project “Doctoral student research and post doctoral research support for university of Latvia” (2004-2007 student support, 2007-2008 post doc support)
• Dr. Ronald Jabangwe (Blekinge Institute of Technology, June 2015).
• Dr. Ricardo Britto (Blekinge Institute of Technology), November 3, 2017.
• Aivars Šāblis (Blekinge Institute of Technology), Doctoral defense planned in 2020
• Ehsan Zabardast (Blekinge Institute of Technology), Doctoral defense planned in 2023
• IS FCT | International Symposium on Fundamentals of Computation Theory
Local organizing committee member 2001
• PROFES | International Conference on Product Focused Software Development and Improvement
Local organizing committee co-chair 2007
Tutorial & Workshop Chair 2008
• ICGSE | IEEE International Conference on Global Software Engineering
Tutorial Chair 2008
Tutorial Chair 2012
Publicity Chair 2013
Program Co-Chair 2018
Academic Liaison 2020
General Chair 2021
• XP | International Conference on Agile Methods
Doctoral Symposium Co-Chair 2016
• Software Engineering area editor in the Baltic Journal of Modern Computing (BJMC) | ISSN 2255-8950 (since 2012)
• Member of the editorial board in the Journal of Supply Chain Relocation (2017-2018)
Scientific reviews – Journals
• Information and Software Technology (since 2007)
• Software Quality Journal (since 2009)
• Journal of Systems and Software (since 2011)
• Journal of Empirical Software Engineering (since 2015)
• IET Software Journal (since 2015)
• Transactions on Software Engineering (since 2016)
Scientific reviews – Conferences
• ESEM | International Symposium on Empirical Software Engineering and Measurement 2013-…
• ICGSE | IEEE International Conference on Global Software Engineering 2007-…
• XP | International Conference on Agile Software Development 2012-13, 2016-…
• EASE | International Conference on Evaluation and Assessment in Software Engineering, Vision Papers and Emerging Results Track, 2020
• ICSE | International Conference on Software Engineering, 2021
• Agile 2011
• Baltic DB&IS | International Baltic Conference on Databases and Information Systems 2010
• ECIS | European Conference on Information Systems | Global Sourcing Management 2012 | Human Factors in Information Systems Development 2013
• EUROSPI | European Systems, Software & Service Process Improvement & Innovation 2006-09
• Globagile Workshop 2011-12
• ICSSP | International Conference on Software and System Process 2012
• ICSE SEE | International Conference on Software Engineering Software Engineering Education Track 2013
• HICSS | Hawaii International Conference on Systems Sciences | Minitrack on Global Virtual Teams 2008-09
• PROFES | International Conference on Product Focused Software Development and Improvement 2008-09, 2018
• SEAA | Euromicro Conference on Software Engineering and Advanced Applications 2013, 2019
Scientific reviews and organization – Workshops
• Workshop on Managing the Client Value Creation Process in Agile (co-located with PROFES), PC member, 2012
• VirtuES – Virtual Teams: Experiences in Global Software Engineering (co-located with ICGSE), PC member, organizer, 2013-2014
• Globagile workshop (co-located with ICGSE), PC member, 2010-2012
• ImpAct workshop (co-located with ICSSP), organizer, 2015–2017
• Large-Scale Agile (co-located with XP), PC member, 2016-2019
• A-teams, International Workshop on Autonomous Agile Teams, PC member, 2018-…
• 2020 (planned) – PhD Committee member for Tomas Gustavsson (Karlstad University, Sweden)
• 2020 – PhD opponent for Rebekka Wohlrab (Chalmers, Sweden)
• 2017 – PhD evaluator for Muhammad Salam (University of Malakand, Pakistan)
• 2016 – PhD opponent for Daniel Graziotin (Free University of Bozen/Bolzano, Italy)
• 2014 – PhD opponent for Ben van Gameren (Delft Technical University, Netherlands)
• 2014 – PhD opponent for Christina Manteli (VU University of Amsterdam, Netherlands)
• 2011 – PhD opponent for Paula Savolainen (University of Jyväskylä, Finland)
• 2010 – Licenciate opponent for Emilie Engström (Lund University, Sweden) in 2010